As we grow older, we continuously discover more about who we are and what we want out of life. We realize that things change…and we change, too. Something that may have been right for you a year ago may no longer be right for you now. Maybe your current lifestyle no longer fits your needs, or your friends no longer share the same values as you. It could be a relationship, a home, a job, or even a habit.
In order to deal with all of the changes happening around us and within us, we must be mindful by letting go of the past and moving forward with the future. This post is dedicated to helping you find inner peace with reasons and ways to be mindful, let go and move forward with your life.
Reasons to Let Go and Move Forward
- Your goals and needs have changed. → As mentioned above, what was right for you then may not be right for you now. Rather than hanging on to the past, it’s important that you are honest with yourself and what you want in life. Sometimes the hardest part isn’t letting go but instead realizing that you have changed, and starting over with your new goals and needs in mind.
- You no longer connect with those around you. → The sad, honest truth is that sometimes people just grow apart. Some people will eventually evolve away from your core values, which clashes with your needs. Or maybe someone’s negativity is rubbing off on you. Be mindful of the fact that who you spend your time with has a big impact on who you are and who you will become. If there are people in your life that aren’t a positive influence on you and your goals, it’s time to let them go.
- You keep living in the past. → It’s time to put an end to reliving moments of the past and start creating new memories in the present. Life is too short to dwell on things that have already happened and cannot be changed. Besides, the mental space that’s created by letting things go allows you to fill your mind with something that’s fresh and fun!
Ways to Let Go and Move Forward
- Trust yourself and take control of your life. → It’s important to realize that not all things in life are meant to be perfectly understood. Letting go means trusting yourself, embracing life’s changes and learning from every experience you have. Remember that you are responsible for your life, and no one can make these changes but you.
- Distance yourself for a while. → Sometimes the best thing you can do is take a few steps back to get clarity on a situation. Simply take a break from whatever is irking you and explore something else for a while. By the time you return you will have a new perspective and may be able to make more confident decisions.
- Focus on today. → Take small steps toward your overall goals. For example, my clients usually have a goal to be healthier and to get in shape, so I often advise taking the first step by getting more involved with fitness in Minneapolis. This can be anything from trying a new fitness class to biking around the neighborhood. Small steps lead to achieving big goals.
You can decide right now that any negative experiences from your past will not dictate your future. Think about who you are, the lifestyle you’ve been living and what makes you feel alive. Nurture these things and make small, positive adjustments in your everyday life. Ultimately, the only thing you can do is keep moving forward. As C.S. Lewis once said, “There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind.” So continue to Be Strong, Be Active, Be Mindful, and Be in the Moment as you continue along life’s journey.
What is something that’s holding you back? What is your first step in letting it go? Please share your thoughts in a comment below.